Question: Microsoft Lumia 950

You can see here how much appreciation Meteor_Kev has received from other members.

Meteor_KevMeteor_Kev
Community Manager
comments: 2459
Device Wizard

Device Wizard

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

Community Guru

Community Guru

Author

2 December 2015, 16:09

The Microsoft Lumia 950 (I was so close to saying Nokia Lumia) has been launched on the network.

I haven't been lucky enough to get my hands on it as of yet. If you have any thoughts, hints or tips on the device let me know here!

Cheers,
Kev
Meteor Community –Please Note Unsoilicited PMs may not be answered. – If I have requested your details, click on my username and you will see ‘Send Private Message’. Try using our ‘Search Bar’ to see if your query has already been answered. To start a new topic, just ‘Ask a Question’ on our home page. If your question has been successfully answered, please choose the This comment answers my question option - The Community is Monitored 9-5, Monday -Friday.
  • You can see here how much appreciation pezwah has received from other members.

pezwah
    Newbie Poster
    comments: 1

16 December 2015, 14:37

hey man, stay well clear of it if you can, i got it. Have it a week and itching to get rid of it, battery is terrible, keeps force restarting and apps just keep deleting themselves ie Facebook and messenger. then the severe lack of apps is just annoying and microsoft gave a date that they will no longer be supporting it too.. so yeah go for android unless youre mad for a mini laptop in your hand with a great camera.
  • You can see here how much appreciation IMarius has received from other members.

IMarius
    Contributor
    comments: 22

17 December 2015, 21:28

pezwah wrote:

hey man, stay well clear of it if you can, i got it. Have it a week and itching to get rid of it, battery is terrible, keeps force restarting and apps just keep deleting themselves ie Facebook and messenger. then the severe lack of apps is just annoying and microsoft gave a date that they will no longer be supporting it too.. so yeah go for android unless youre mad for a mini laptop in your hand with a great camera.

what are you talking about microsoft never gave any date, and the battery life my 950 XL is amazing (should not be any worse on a standard 950).
  • You can see here how much appreciation JimboIreland has received from other members.

JimboIreland
    Community Champion
    comments: 4681
    Device Wizard

Device Wizard

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

Community Guru

Community Guru

Apps Expert

Apps Expert

17 December 2015, 22:44

Mainstream Windows 10 Mobile support will cease on January 9, 2018. As for apps you did know there is a lack of apps so why did you get it?
    The app gap and regular updates is a thorn in users sides and I agree with you being a longstanding Windows Phone user.. I still use lumia devices and always carry a droid with me to fulfil the app gap..
    Universal apps are said to close the gap but again MS are slow to help out here,too many promises now from MS and the app gap is going to be the only issue unless things change rather quick...
    This two year support is the typical life cycle anyway and people generally update their devices within that two years so this is no anything new or something to complain about....

The hardwear is however good and with continuum is a bonus,although there is another option to use called the Lumia Screensharing HD-10 box which is similar and works wireless. This sadly has not become available in Ireland and I have been using it since launch and find it fantastic for sharing on the bigger screen...

The camera of course is the main good feature on Lumia devices always has been and the better chipset here too makes it that bit better but not much over the Lumia 930,battery life will vary and takes several charge cycles to settle down,as W10 on the 950/XL is new there will be teething problems that MS need to address and do it quickly if not the ship will sink for good and sink quick..
    The 950 series is phones made for fans as they say and personally I would have preferred to see a metal unibody rather than the polycarbonate offering,Having said the polycarbonate is not bad either but they should have left this cheap build out and used aluminium instead...

Its going to be a year before we see a true flagship from MS and in this Year will be enough to see what direction MS Is going,from a % of share in Ireland it was once around 12% its now dropped below to about 7% this is Irelands share but worldwide market share has took a huge hit and now 1-2% dropping from around 5.6% at its peak,it yet has to see double digits and unless it does its going nowhere...
    The problem is getting devs interested in building apps but with unified apps to work on mobile and desktop should see an increase in interest and hopefully gain some traction in the next 12 months,if not WP will become just a niche OS,like Chrome,Firefix and JOLLA for example.
    WP does have the best look with live tiles and its NON STATIC screen like Android and iOS and from W7 to current build its improved greatly with plenty of restrictions lifted and the ability to customise your device to your personal taste,this was another killer for me over the years but now they have passed even apple out here with simple tasks...
    ___________________________________NOTE-I am a Meteor Mobile customer like you,I spend my free time here to help others,Multiple forum Master and balanced,Mobile Phone buff and im on twitter @jimboirelandMETEOR NUMBERS - PAYG: 1747 BillPAY: 1905

Uploading in progress:
0%
Browse
Add
If the URL is correct, a preview will appear here. It can take a few minutes for larger images to show.
  • :D
  • :?
  • :cool:
  • :S
  • :(
  • :@
  • :$
  • :8
  • :)
  • :P
  • ;)
View mobile version