Solved: Wifi Calling for Androids & iPhones

You can see here how much appreciation vdirgelas has received from other members.

vdirgelas
Newbie Poster
comments: 1
Author

30 July 2016, 11:49

Just wondering is Meteor have this option "wifi calling" mabe will have on future. In my area is very poor signal this would solve my problem for make and receive calls. I know that vodafone have this option here in Ireland.

What actually is Wi-Fi calling?

Instead of using your network connection, you will connect to voice calls using the Wi-Fi you have at home, or using whatever Wi-Fi hotspot you happen to be on when you're out and about. In every other way it's like a normal call though -- you still use normal phone numbers.

Why do I want that?

The main benefit is for making calls when you have no phone signal. If you live out in the countryside, for example, and find it difficult to get phone signal, you can make calls and send texts using your home Internet connection instead. The same applies for when you're in those dingy, underground bars where your phone can't get reception, but can connect to the bar's Wi-Fi.
Solved. Read answer here:

Hi there jcb

Thank you for getting in touch with us here. You will see everything you'd like to know about Wifi Calling here

-Kyle

View original
Show first post Hide first post
  • You can see here how much appreciation johnboy50 has received from other members.

johnboy50
    Forum Rookie
    comments: 5

15 May 2017, 13:47

Any idea why it's not on samsung s8+
  • You can see here how much appreciation Meteor_Alan has received from other members.

Meteor_AlanMeteor_Alan
    Meteor Admin
    comments: 467
    Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

15 May 2017, 15:47

Hi sofa81,

Thanks for getting In touch with us.

If you abroad in a non-EU country and use the wifi calling for texts or calls you will be at the same rate as calls made via a regular network.

Advantages of the wifi calling while roaming would be If you are In rural areas and cannot pick up a phone signal.

-Alan
    __________________________________________ Help & Support Home Page | Forum T&C's - Please read | Meteor web-chat: 9AM - 11PM Unsolicited PMs will not be answered, use our 'Search Bar'' in the top right hand corner, your question may already have been answered but if not, drop a post on a relevant thread, or set one up yourself. The forum is moderated from Monday-Friday - 9AM-5PM
  • You can see here how much appreciation Frank76 has received from other members.

Frank76
    Contributor
    comments: 37

15 May 2017, 18:42

Can I get this on my galaxy S6?

Just updated the software, can't find the option
  • You can see here how much appreciation johnboy50 has received from other members.

johnboy50
    Forum Rookie

15 May 2017, 19:00

No supported on s8 anyway and not getting any help here
  • You can see here how much appreciation Frank76 has received from other members.

Frank76
    Contributor

15 May 2017, 20:46

This could be very useful as the mobile signal is pretty poor at home.
    My wife and I are on sim only plans.
    Both phones are sim free S6's
    How do I enable the wifi calling option
  • You can see here how much appreciation Meteor_Alan has received from other members.

Meteor_AlanMeteor_Alan
    Meteor Admin
    Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

16 May 2017, 12:56

Hi Liamc,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We would love to hear any feedback on your use of the wifi calling.

-Alan
    __________________________________________ Help & Support Home Page | Forum T&C's - Please read | Meteor web-chat: 9AM - 11PM Unsolicited PMs will not be answered, use our 'Search Bar'' in the top right hand corner, your question may already have been answered but if not, drop a post on a relevant thread, or set one up yourself. The forum is moderated from Monday-Friday - 9AM-5PM

Meteor_AlanMeteor_Alan
    Meteor Admin
    Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

16 May 2017, 12:57

Hi Guys,

Thanks for getting In touch.

Could you clarify which bill plans you are currently on?

-Alan

Frank76
    Contributor

16 May 2017, 14:51

I am on this

REGULAR EXTRA 4G
    10GBData

400 minutes
    Unlimited texts
    Free Meteor calls & texts
    FREE EU Roaming
    INCLUDES MORE THAN YOU CAN EAT DATA.
    blank

€25 / 30 days

Updated my S6 to android 7 yesterday
  • You can see here how much appreciation Meteor_Kyle has received from other members.

Meteor_KyleMeteor_Kyle
    comments: 4456
    Device Wizard

Device Wizard

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

Community Guru

Community Guru

MBB Master

MBB Master

17 May 2017, 12:02

Hi there Frank76

Thank you so much for all the information.

You will see in this thread here that I have already posted what you need to do to enable your handset for wifi calling. If you are on any of the selected plans, have an enabled handset & the Nougat software, you just need to enable your settings (in link) and then call Customer Care to add this feature for you on your account.

Hope this helps

-Kyle

Frank76
    Contributor

17 May 2017, 17:47

I have android 7 which appears to nougat
    I have one of the correct plans.

I do not have the wifi calling option anywhere in settings.
    What is your definition of an enabled handset???

Pity was curious to try this
  • You can see here how much appreciation encho has received from other members.

encho
    Newbie Poster

17 May 2017, 18:50

Hi, iPhone 6s user here. I have received latest iOS update plus carrier update but still no luck. I have option 'wifi calling' but when I try to enable it, I receive a message 'please contact meteor to have wifi calling enabled for your device'. SIMO Regular Extra 4G 10GB. Any help appreciated.
  • You can see here how much appreciation Meteor_Kyle has received from other members.

Meteor_KyleMeteor_Kyle
    Device Wizard

Device Wizard

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

Community Guru

Community Guru

MBB Master

MBB Master

18 May 2017, 12:02

Hi there Frank76 & encho

Did you both purchase your handsets directly from Meteor?

-Kyle

encho
    Newbie Poster

18 May 2017, 12:18

I purchased mine separately, but thought because of this carrier update that was pushed it would still work.

Meteor_KyleMeteor_Kyle
    Device Wizard

Device Wizard

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

Community Guru

Community Guru

MBB Master

MBB Master

18 May 2017, 13:57

Hi there encho

Devices from other operators will require the Meteor software applied to the device before it is Wifi Calling compatible. This can be carried out by dropping the phone into the store who will then send to Fonefix. The process takes 3-4 days to complete at a cost of €20 if the device is no long under warranty. If under warranty, it will be free of charge.

-Kyle

Meteor_KyleMeteor_Kyle
    Device Wizard

Device Wizard

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

Community Guru

Community Guru

MBB Master

MBB Master

18 May 2017, 14:15

We can confirm that Wifi Calling is available to our Meteor customers. Devices from other operators will require the Meteor software applied to the device before it is Wifi Calling compatible. This can be carried out by dropping the phone into the store who will then send to Fonefix. The process takes 3-4 days to complete at a cost of €20 if the device is no long under warranty. If under warranty, it will be free of charge.

For now, we have the iPhone 5C (including iPhone SE) all support WiFi Calling. (Does not need to be purchased directly from Meteor)
    S6 & Edge, S7 & Edge, S8 & Plus available and they all need to be updated to the Nougat software. You need to make sure that your software is updated to the Nougat version and be on the following plans....

SIM Only Lite -Current
    SIM Only Regular 4G
    SIM Only Super 4G
    SIM Only Super Deluxe 4G
    Smartphone Lite - Current
    Smartphone Regular 4G
    Smartphone Super 4G
    Smartphone Super Deluxe 4G
    SIMO Regular Extra 10GB 4G Current
    SIMO Super Deluxe Extra 30GB 4G Current
    SIMO Super Extra 15GB 4G Current
    SIM Only Regular Extra 4G
    SIM Only Super Deluxe Extra 4G
    SIM Only Super Extra 4G
    Smartphone Regular Extra 4G Current
    Smartphone Super Deluxe Extra 4G Current

To activate this (Android), you just need to go into your Settings > Connections > WiFI Call to activate this and then contact us so we can add this to your account. Customers on an iPhone 5C or above who have updated their Software to the latest version can enable WIFI Calling by following these easy steps:

Click on ‘Settings’
    Click on ‘Phone’
    Click on ‘Wifi Calling'
    Enable using sliding bar

If you have any queries regarding this, please let us know

Frank76
    Contributor

18 May 2017, 17:53

As I mentioned in my second post of this my phone is sim free not purchased from meteor.

Suits the whole concept of 30 day sim only contracts.
    I believe the tag line was if you are happy with your current phone...

Kyle Thanks for the answer I had a feeling this was the reason.
    Pity this could have been an interesting addition

Needless to say I will not be spending 40 quid to get meteor software on my phone and wife's phone.

The ad says no need for additional app fails to mention must be meteor phone or meteor software.

Disappointing for this to have fallen at the first hurdle.
    Must be plenty of people in my situation
  • You can see here how much appreciation jcb has received from other members.

jcb
    comments: 0

19 May 2017, 10:12

Hi

Great news that I can use minutes/texts from my plan if I'm using WiFi calling whilst roaming abroad.

Can you clarify if I receive a call while abroad, when connected to a WiFi network, will that cost the same as at home (i.e. free), or do I have to pay the normal per-minute rate for incoming calls while roaming?

Thanks

Meteor_KyleMeteor_Kyle
    Device Wizard

Device Wizard

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

Community Guru

Community Guru

MBB Master

MBB Master

Answer

19 May 2017, 12:09

Hi there jcb

Thank you for getting in touch with us here. You will see everything you'd like to know about Wifi Calling here

-Kyle

encho
    Newbie Poster

19 May 2017, 18:15

Happy to report that today it finally worked when I clicked the option. Eir disclaimer popped up and the button remained checked. No idea why it didn't work last few days, must be that they fixed something or my phone finally got into the 'approved' list.

Frank76
    Contributor

20 May 2017, 10:44

Encho

did you have to get the meteor software on your phone like Kyle mentioned?

encho
    Newbie Poster

20 May 2017, 12:20

@Frank76 no, I did nothing. I do have non -Meteor iPhone 6s though, not Android. I'm sure they fixed something on their side or white-listed the phone.

Frank76
    Contributor

20 May 2017, 22:30

thanks for the response encho

That's interesting.

good thing you didn't take kyles advice so.

encho
    Newbie Poster

20 May 2017, 22:39

Frank76 wrote:

thanks for the response encho

That's interesting.

good thing you didn't take kyles advice so.

I think it is matter of time till they test and fix the issues one phone at a time. I have tried it at my in-laws where I usually get 1-bar signal or worse and it worked great. In place where I usually have 'meteor' written I got Eir WiFi calling' or something similar, call quality was great thanks to solid WiFi signal backed by fibre connection.

As I mentioned earlier, there was carrier update pushed few days prior to this, it could be that phone needed cache cleaned or reboot or something else. On Android phones there are OTA updates that can be pushed, but they have to be phone model specific. Given the diversity of Android devices I wouldn't hold my breath that it will happen any time soon.

Meteor_KyleMeteor_Kyle
    Device Wizard

Device Wizard

Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

Community Guru

Community Guru

MBB Master

MBB Master

22 May 2017, 12:35

Hi everyone.

If you want to know everything about WiFi Calling, please have a look at the link that we posted here on the Community

-Kyle

Meteor_AlanMeteor_Alan
    Meteor Admin
    Community All Rounder

Community All Rounder

23 May 2017, 12:23

Hi sofa81,

Thanks for getting back to us. Advantages of the wifi calling would be when In an area with poor coverage network.

-Alan

Uploading in progress:
0%
Browse
Add
If the URL is correct, a preview will appear here. It can take a few minutes for larger images to show.
  • :D
  • :?
  • :cool:
  • :S
  • :(
  • :@
  • :$
  • :8
  • :)
  • :P
  • ;)
View mobile version